Changing the 'narrative of disappointment'..

A man once told me that I always see the negative in things and express them and today I was gently reminded when I was told about my "narrative of disappointment" about CSA, 
I was also a bit ashamed when in an email exchange about my whinges with one of the organisers, she referred to the possibility of hopeful stories ..

A lot of good things happened to me, maybe the best thing was being thrown into the unfamiliar and the uncertain and having to adjust which I did not do.. but that is part of living. While I grouched about no internet in the room, i took up space in the reception lobby and as a result probably had more conversations with people than if I had stayed in my room. And one long conversation with the English professor was a good one for learning and for the promise of learning.. including an offer to discuss via skype something which I will have to read and think about.. so more challenges to get out of my comfort zone.

A woman told me in a workshop that she came to meet me because of the work.. very kind of her and i was touched and a bit scared that i was under a spotlight. and lunch with her was revealing about how women have coped with domestic violence transnationally. The IRN workshop evaluations showed a great appreciation for the networking and two women from Barbados who dropped in were very happy for the opportunity to hear the work which was going on.. neither of them in academia.

Being in a big place with crowds, it was easy to escape and be alone too and a few nights when eating in solitude, it was good to see others doing the same thing,, by choice. A man was horrified to see me eating alone. saying Caribbean meals are family events.. I thought yep.. during the TV commercial breaks.

It was a joy to see the Trini celebration of Kamla Persaud-Bissessar's win and to watch how the Jamaicans had spirit to do their work while worrying about home. As one told me, this is not the first time this happening in Jamaica.

No need for me to dip into condensed milk.. there was enough desserts there and I ate them all.. .. of course there were interesting panels, but the cheesecake and the mousse.. i remember now

So meeting people, gaffing while feeling frustrated, and also letting go of that frustration because you can talk to people about it.. break silences as I heard.

That was the best thing really, that we had a chance to talk about what bothering us and nobody would hate you for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar