Kissoon, who cares about you ?

Last week I resigned from what would have been the most significant appointment in my life so far.

The comments and feedback have been mixed. The article in Stabroek News had some interesting responses . Many people have indicated that they approved of this move, funnily some of them who wanted me off of the Commission in the first place are not sure whether or not to be happy that I resigned.  One lady said I am pulling wool over people's eyes, I am not sure what for, since the issues are pretty much clear.
Some people's silence on my resignation seem to shout out about how much they do really care about what I did, but for some reason do not wish to engage me on the decision.

I am fascinated by how Mr Roger Williams kept pressing his case (a 10 page dossier apparently!) and I think it is amazing that I have inspired vitriol in a man who I have never met. I know there are many who would have hoped that I would have been kicked out of the commission, so I must apologise to them for not making them happy. A few people said that I should have stayed on, one man telling me that in a way, it is like marriage, it will have its obstacles but I swore the oath and I should not back down and quit the marriage at the first sign of trouble.


The most powerful event though, was the conversation with a woman who told me that used to think of me as 'polar opposite and adversary'  and who found herself talking to the least expected person who she was encouraged to dislike. Perhaps, my temporary role on the Rights of the Child Commission , it was not so much about rights of the child, but for me and this woman who was my adversary to find some common ground and identify shared values. 


These rights commissions are new in Guyana's history and should signify a turn in troubled history of trying to build a democracy. It is probably true that most of Guyana probably could not be bothered by the Rights Commissions or the events around them. Thanks to those who cared enough to express an opinion one way or another.

It was an honour to be nominated by the women's groups, and I am sad that I could not fulfill their expectation of me.  The work however, will continue on Help & Shelter's Pickney Project and similar initiatives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar