Keeping the grey hairs

The conductor and I talked today about getting old, having kids and grey hair. We agreed that we are not going to dye our hair, he told me that someone had already given him instant dye but he could not be bothered to use it. We agreed that it better to take the dye money and buy vitamins and so on to stay healthy.
He and I are the same age (39) and he looked like he has less grey hair than me.I know, i watch the grey hair on the head, I not bothered by the beard or the chest or even lower down. A woman told me that I have distinguished grey hair, the kind of thing you tell an old man when you dont want to say he handsome.

I still remember as a child though , when 40 seemed old, and the conductor and I talked about that today, and how time fly and we will be  older, even though we still feel like we are teenagers thinking that people who are 40 are old and stupid.

Some of our contemporaries have teenaged children writing exams. This age thing is something else. People stop calling me son, and brother and now calling me 'uncle'.. I haven't heard 'pops' yet, but soon..

A younger man  cannot believe i eat snocone with condensed milk.. that apparently is for children and girls and women.. and sometimes when I stand up near the snocone man I realise that is true, I am the only big man there, but I stand up thinking as a child and cant wait to crush up the ice, and to make a mess of the cold sweetness.

I have this habit of jumping up to touch high beams and branches of trees.. testing the spring in my knees, that is not something my father and uncles would have done when they were my age.

I watch older people too, on the sea wall, the older men and women who walk faster than me, the older man who runs up and down long after I conk out. I admire two older politicians, one with Parkinson's who can string the words together and hold the listeners spell bound.  I think that I am trying to form role models of how to live when I get old - i mean older - if my life is spared.

i worry though, that I am getting fuddy duddy, set in my ways, too quick to feel comfortable about things, and grouchy about resisting change.. i have torn old cloth to make a string to run through a pair of short pants because well..the pants is comfortable, and I feel like i dont need a blackberry

i keep wearing the same clothes over and over again and this week, i put on a shirt without ironing it ..jeez..
heck, i might just peroxide my whole head and see what happen

Comments

  1. This is something I always like to talk about, the way we tend to think that we are still that silly teenager inside, when other ppl are calling us "uncle, big man or mister".

    I was always made to believe that with old age, came "maturity and wiseness", but was proven wrong recently, when I heard that wiseness actually comes from experiences not age? This is something I am still trying to find out, yet still it is interesting to know how can you adjust yourself to suit the picture that everyone would see you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. again -- male privilege. chek yo'self

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar