Pineapple curry...


Rain is falling and only one man is selling pineapple and I know that rainy weather pineapple is not always sweet.  So I think all right, let me taste and if it not sweet I will make pineapple curr y - a long time after I saw a woman post about making it after she ate it in a restaurant.  Thanks to Facebook.

The Internet throws up a set of recipes and I realise of course that I will have to try my own thing. Some recipes talk about boiling pineapple first, some talk about using coconut milk, some don't use coconut milk.

Pineapple
I cut the pineapple in chunks - some have recipes for slices. Some talk about boiling the pineapple first. But I cut the pineapple in chunks and then when I realise that the pineapple does not really soften as it boils.. that I should cut into smallish pieces. Next time.


The curry
So of course experts will have bottles of different things and make up their own masala as it goes. Khali leaves, curry leaves, this kind pepper,  geera, etc etc.  So I use the curry powder, put some extra haldi/tumeric and also use onion, garlic ,ginger.  Some recipes add sugar too.. but I friken that I will be making curry pineapple jam.  I could imagine I would have put in lemon grass too with the coconut milk thing.

The coconut milk
One recipe just blended the coconut with some of the masala and cooked everything Others say add dahee /yoghurt .. but I just have coconut milk and I put in some of the coconut. The gravy does not thicken as such with more cooking though.

2 to 24 hours after..
This chef said when you finish cooking - to leave for 2 to 24 hours to let the flavours soak in. I ate some two hours after.. the pineapple has the shape, the taste and the flavour soak in nice..and then when you bit the geera, and the ginger and so .. and the surwa with the coconut milk.well is not like curry pina colada either.


So recipe I use

Cut up pineapple small , remove the core.
Make up your masala with whatever you want (some even put clove, cinammon and all them thing.. but that sound too close to jam)

Chop up some onion, garlic and ginger and so.
Put some whole geera in the oil, it taste nice with the pineapple.
Chunkay the pineapple  with the masala.

Put in the coconut milk, enough to cover and leave it to simmer until the surwa is what you want.

Enjoy with other curries and so.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar