Ochro (μπάμιες) Greek style made Guyanese..


My mother asked me  why I soaking the ochro in the water.

I was feeling a lil bored with plain ole steam ochro with tomato and decided to browse the Internet and found this recipe Greek Vegan Ochro which talk about soaking the ochro for half hour in water with vinegar and lil salt to take out the sliminess before cooking it.

So I follow the recipe. Trick apparently is to make a lil tomato sauce, and then put in the ochro and leave it on low low heat for a long time.

Then I did my own thing.

Ingredients

1 lb ochro
garlic
ginger
a lil bit whole geera (just because)
oil
wiri wiri
sweet pepper
carrot
onion
other herbs you have around..

small tin tomato paste


Method

Soak ochro in water, a lil salt, and some vinegar for 30 minutes. then wash and dry and then 'tail' it - take  out the tips.

1. Heat oil in the pan and roast the whole geera a lil bit.
Chop up garlic, onion and ginger and saute in a strong bottom pan which has a tight lid.

2.  Mix tomato paste with 1 and a half cups water (yes, I measured it exactly because I never hear about putting ochro to cook in water).

3. Simmer for 5 minutes. Put in carrots and so.

4. Put in ochro. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or so

5. Cover lid, and turn down the heat to the lowest. They say leave for 45 minutes, but I notice after 30 minutes ochro looking done.

They say eat with crusty bread , so I toast a slice of whole wheat bread. the thing eat good.. though one ochro was a lil stringy.. had to kind of mash it and eat it.. and it not slimy..


You need young ochro (or small ochro because some of the small ochro was a lil hard ) I will eat with rice.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar