Biscuit and sweetie from a grandmother

The elderly lady, Mrs M, rode up on her bicycle and took out the tin and the packet of sweets from a bag. She  opened the biscuit tin and asked me to open the packet of sweets.  And then she went down the line, and gave us two biscuits and a few sweets..  to each and every one of us .. no passing of the tin down the line or anything like that.  She also gave the police in the car , one or two did not take from her.

She comes to join the picket sometimes, she has a grandson and she is concerned about child abuse and the cases which never get to completion.

A woman said  what was on all our minds.. Mrs M reminds us of grannies, our grandmothers. My naanee (maternal grandmother) was like that, always finding something sweet to give us, regardless of what my mother said.
Gooseberry stew was her favourite, or biscuits or fudge.. everything a treat from some bottle or old tin.
My great aunt was like that too, one time we went by her .. we were on punishment and no sweet drinks for awhile.. but she pulled us in the kitchen and gave us the cold cream soda and some sweet biscuits and told us to drink it there where my father could not see us drinking it.
A friend once told me when he was by me that I was feeding him like how his grandmother treated her one and only male offspring.. I took that as a compliment.
So many grandmothers, who have held families together and nurtured children in their own ways.
Thanks Mrs M..  it was great to feel like a grandchild again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar