Meditation on genip , guenip juice...


What do you do when you have genip that you don't want to eat because it too sour? You make juice...

Climate change and it seems the genip tree got a bit confused. The owner of the tree said that one branch of the tree was loaded.. but "they not sweet, they juice, big.. a lot of double ones.."
I ate some, and realised I could not eat more.. but I didn't want to throw them away.

I went looking for recipes ,.. I remember somebody had pickle genip but I don't like to eat sour.
I was wondering if to curry it with coconut milk as well.. anything or I also thought of some syrup thing but then I thought man, no more shugah.

Found a cheerful recipe for genip juice.

I used to wonder if there was a way to get the juice out of the genip without having to work your mouth and teeth. And while I don't like to eat sour, I like to drink it...

And so.. I use the knife to cut the genip. New experience as I have never cut genip with anything but my teeth. It was easy to do.

Soaked the genip in water, left for a half hour.
  I thought I could spin the genip on the lowest setting of the blender so as not to break up the seeds.

The first batch worked out.. the genip pulp came off nicely.. no probems.

Second batch though, genip kept sticking under the blender blades.

So I had to use my hands to kind of rub the genip, squeeze out. It was nice and squishy.. hands working in ways that were not typing or writing or chipping up things to cut.
And thinking, if the genip was sweet, I would have eaten this out already in the time to make the juice.
I wondered about how I need to use my hands to do different things.. to exercise them.. kneading is a good thing to do as well.

Juice is a lovely colour. Nice light, refreshing taste.

 I could drink out all of this, when I would not have been able to eat them.

Update 2 July, 2020
I tried this again, using hot water.  I had nice sweet genip, too much to eat out though. Nice flavour and colour. No sugar.

I think I preferred the previous recipe using plain water as I am not sure if heat destroys some of the flavour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar