The women on the University campus, but not on campus..

"I did always want pursue lil higher studies, but time yuh know.. life.. " the taxi driver, a woman, said as she took me into the University compound. "Dis place always looks busy.. ".  

I ask her if she has access to the Internet and what phone she uses. I tell her about MOOCs and coursera and edx.
"Write dem down hey fuh meh nuh".. she takes a paper from the door . The car is not too tidy.
I wanted to ask her if she wanted to come into the lecture.. but time is money and as I pay her and jump out , I did not say.. come in come in if you got some time. I disconnected her from the theme of the lecture in that very easy to do way in which people - women, men , others are often ignored.

The lecture was about gender and health.

Near the door of the lecture theatre, a woman is standing. She is a cleaner. I tell her come in if she finish working. She looks at me and smiles. She says no. I say come man, tek a seat. She laughs and says 'another time'. I wonder if the notices of these events go out to every single person who works on the campus.

I think of the other women working on the campus outside of the faculty and admin services - security guards, cleaners. I wonder if they get to listen in to the lectures. 

I am in this strange space.. 'lecturing' rather than facilitating discussions. There is a difference - I do believe there is a role for academic rigour, and discipline to work on research, theories etc. I am also grateful to all of the mostly women who have translated all of this for me so I could use this as I talk about gender equality. I have never been assigned grades on any of the work.

I am looking at something written for me to mark, and to assign a score. The woman who wrote it is radical in her own way. I am not assigning scores though for personal radicalism and revolutionary ventures.. but for language, structure, etc.  I feel foolish assigning a less then 100% score.

I forgot to ask a woman guarding the women artists at Castellani House if she had viewed the exhibition. I had learned from other women about inviting bystanders and paying attention to those on the periphery, on the margins. In the university.. on the campus, but not on campus.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar